When To Call A Water And Fire Damage Restoration Firm
Water and fire damage restoration are necessary when a family is at their most vulnerable, so they need a technician that is trustworthy and capable to act quickly and SERVPRO is just that. When disaster strikes a home, the damage left behind can make the building uninhabitable. Floods, noxious odors, unhealthy air quality and microbial growth are just a few hazards that can force a family from their home, and they must be dealt with immediately or they may worsen. Fortunately, SERVPRO is on call around the clock and capable of responding right away to any problems.
Our Certified professionals have several missions when they arrive at a compromised building. They have to assess the extent of the damage, determine its source, clean up any destroyed materials, set up a work site, remove excess moisture, remove any residue and ash, and rid the home of any lingering health threats. The entire process is completed as quickly as possible, so SERVPRO will be extremely busy from the moment they arrive at the home.
Every disaster is different, and SERVPRO is equipped for any situation. In some instances, there’s just a small plumbing leak in the attic and a patch of mold to get rid of. Sometimes, a flood powers through the building and leaves several inches of contaminated water behind. Other times, it’s a brief flame that scorches some drywall and a bit of flooring. Then there are times that it’s a rampaging inferno that nearly destroys the building. No matter how severe the disaster is, SERVPRO can get the building back to its former state.
Home Fire Safety
Did you know that if a fire starts in your home you may have as little as two minutes to escape? During a fire, early warning from a working smoke alarm plus a fire escape plan that has been practiced regularly can save lives. Learn what else to do to keep your loved ones safe!
1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
2. Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
3. Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
4. If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
Tips for good Family Fire Safety Preparedness:
1. Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
2. Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
3. Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
4. Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
5. Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
6. Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
If you do nothing else:
- Keep items that can catch on fire at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as space heaters.
- Smoking materials are the leading cause of residential fire deaths in the United States. If you smoke, take precautions: Smoke outside; choose fire-safe cigarettes; never smoke in bed, when drowsy or medicated, or if anyone in the home is using oxygen.
- Use deep, sturdy ashtrays and douse cigarette and cigar butts with water before disposal.
- Talk to children regularly about the dangers of fire, matches and lighters and keep them out of reach.
- Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended, even for a minute.
What is Ultrasonic Cleaning??
Here is our Production Supervisor, Amy, using our Ultrasonic Cleaner to clean contents from a fire in Batesville, Indiana.
It is never easy to recover from fire damage. It is even more upsetting when it occurs to a home that contains precious and delicate items. The challenge is how to remove dirt, soot and smoke from very small and delicate objects? In the past, this was done with chemicals and very delicate tools. Pieces were bathed in solvents to loosen the soil, then workers would use specialized brushes and cotton swabs to clean the items. Finally, the pieces were placed in an ozone chamber to remove the smell.
This time- and labor-intensive process was able to save some objects. But some were just not recoverable using this process, and removing the smell of the fire was not guaranteed. This is where ultrasonic cleaning and Omegasonics comes in. Ultrasonic cleaners use cavitation and solutions that are able to penetrate into every little corner of an intricate piece of content to make sure that all the soil comes away.
Ultrasonic cleaners are a game changer in the cleaning and restoration business.
Rain, Rain, Go Away
Flooded basements are a common catastrophe homeowner's experience due to substanial amounts of rain. It's important to mitigate the loss as soon as possible to prevent further damage and mold growth.
You can trust our experienced team to take care of you and your needs. We're here to help make it "Like It Never Even Happened." Call us at 812-574-5744
How To Prepare For A Storm
With technology today, we can usually predict when a large storm is going to hit. Here are some helpful tips to prepare you and your loved ones for a storm.
Tune into your local weather radio station, TV channel, or app.
Depending on the type of storm, you must evaluate your situation.
Create an emergency plan.
Prepare an emergency kit. Each kit should include:
Prepare your home.
Make sure your insurance is adequate
Learn how to safely turn off your power, gas, and water
Remove tree branches or other dangers close to your home
Check your roof and gutters clear
What is Mitigation?
1. Mitigation enables people to recover more quickly from a disaster.
2. Mitigation lessens the financial impact of disasters.
3. As mitigation specialists, SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg & Versailles focuses on reducing loss, enabling quick recoveries and lessening costs involved with restoration of property damage events.
Without mitigation the following could take place:
1. A longer amount of time the homeowner is inconvenienced.
2. A longer amount of time business is interrupted.
3. The potential for mold growth.
4. The loss of personal valuable and beloved belonging.
5. Increase in insurance.
One of the keys to mitigation is our immediate response!
The quicker you call, THE BETTER!
1. Less wood and drywall saturation
2. Less delamination
3. Reduced carpet and furniture stains
4. Fewer warping hardwood floors
5. Less mold/mildew
6. Less contents damage
Give us a call TODAY at 812-574-5744 for you mitigation services.
We are proudly serving Dearborn, Jefferson, Ohio and Switzerland counties.
How Can I Prevent Mold?
Mold is an extremely serious topic, and one that we receive many calls regarding. Our research shows that these suggestions below can help prevent mold from entering your home.
- Humidity levels need to be low, humidity is a breading ground for mold.
- Be sure to use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier during humid months.
- Exhaust fans can help with ventilating your house.
- Mold inhibitors can be added to paints before you use them.
- Do not have carpet in bathrooms.
- If you carpets or upholstery becomes wet, remove them or dry them out if you are able.
At SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg & Versailles we are known for our drying skills. Let us help you with that, call us today at 812-574-5744. We always answer, 24/7/365
Fire Damage Tips
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Madison, Lawrenceburg & Versailles 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
MADISON, LAWRENCEBURG AND VERSAILLES
SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg & Versailles provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Jefferson, Switzerland, Ripley, Ohio and Dearborn counties.
We specialize in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property. Our staff is highly trained and use advanced equipment and techniques to clean and restore your home.
We are available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. In fact, it's the cornerstone of our business. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help (812) 574-5744
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.