Southern Indiana Home Fire Safety
Did you know that if a fire starts in your home you may have as little as two minutes to escape? During a fire, early warning from a working smoke alarm plus a fire escape plan that has been practiced regularly can save lives. Learn what else to do to keep your loved ones safe!
1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
2. Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
3. Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
4. If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
Tips for good Family Fire Safety Preparedness:
1. Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
2. Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
3. Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
4. Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
5. Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
6. Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
If you do nothing else:
- Keep items that can catch on fire at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as space heaters.
- Smoking materials are the leading cause of residential fire deaths in the United States. If you smoke, take precautions: Smoke outside; choose fire-safe cigarettes; never smoke in bed, when drowsy or medicated, or if anyone in the home is using oxygen.
- Use deep, sturdy ashtrays and douse cigarette and cigar butts with water before disposal.
- Talk to children regularly about the dangers of fire, matches and lighters and keep them out of reach.
- Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended, even for a minute.
What kind of Commercial Services can SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles Provide?
SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster. We provide 24-hour emergency services and will respond immediately to you emergency and have the training and experience to handle your restoration and cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Fast to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A trusted leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
It's never a good time to experience a fire or water damage emergency, especially at your commercial property or business. SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles understands that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. SERVPRO professionals have the training and expertise to respond promptly for professional cleaning and emergency restoration service situations. When the need arises SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles is your go to Restoration Company to get your property back to business.
We are available 24\7\365!
Have Questions? Call 812-574-5744
College Dorm Safety and Preparedness
For most college students freshman year is the first time for many that they've lived away from home and subsequently their parents. We've compiled a list of some helpful tips to make sure your student is prepared for an emergency.
Learn your buildings evacuation plan.
If you're living on campus, chances are your dorm will have an emergency evacuation plan. Once you get settled, familiarize yourself with the building and learn the pre-planned evacuation routes. Practice various routes, and make sure your are familiar with where the posted maps of the facility are.
Don't overload your room's electrical outlets.
It's best not to push dorm outlets to their capacity by plugging in too many multi-plug devices. If you notice any scorched marks or burning smells around an electrical outlet, stop using that outlet and inform someone of the problem right away.
Cook with care.
Cooking equipment is involved in 86 percent of dormitory fires. Be super careful when cooking in your dorm room. NEVER leave your dorm when cooking appliances are in use.
Don't tamper with fire safety features in your dorm.
Most schools don't allow you to smoke or burn candles or incense in your dorm. Please only smoke in designated areas and never leave a burning candle or incense unattended.
Don't tamper with fire safety features in your dorm.
All dorms should have smoke detectors. It is important that you do not cover them up with decorations. Also, it's not wise to remove the batteries for any reason. If your dorm has a sprinkler system in place don't hang any decorations from them.
Be mindful of clutter and how you decorate your dorm.
It would be wise to limit the amount of decor you hang in your room as well as to keep clutter to a minimum. Every poster, every tapestry or piece of decor you hang can be considered a fire hazard. Also, avoid draping materials over hot items such as lamps that could potentially cause ignition.
Prepare your home for potential water damage
Flooding in your home can happen at anytime, but your home can be even more exposed to water damage when it rains. As we move into winter months, storm damage becomes more of a threat to your property. Here are a few tips to avoid damage caused by storm and water.
1. Modify your homes water valves. If the city's main sewer line gets backed up during a heavy rain storm, you could find yourself standing in a pile of you-know-what. You may want to consider installing an interior or exterior backflow valve. Backflow valves prevent your water system from being contaminated from water flowing backwards into your supply lines.
2. Clear gutter, drains, and downspouts. Clogged gutters and downspouts can end up in a messy flood. Take the time to clean them and clear them of any and all debris before the rain comes.
3. Cover air vents. One of the most common ways water fins its way into a home is through the home's air vents. If you know that heavy rain is in the forecast and that you are at risk of flooding, cover your air vents with thick plastic sheeting from both the outside and the inside.
4. Check your sealant surrounding doors and windows. Make sure that any gaps or holes in the sealant surrounding the doors and windows are filled in. This will help stop rain water from finding its way into your home.
If water still manages to find a way into your home and you need assistance, give SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles a call at 812-574-5744! We're available 24/7 for emergency services.
Are you Storm Ready?
Here at SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles, we see the aftermath of storm damage and how devastating the damages can be. We cannot stress enough the importance of PREPAREDNESS. We have compiled here a list of things you can do with and for your family to help in the event of a storm disaster.
Create you Home Emergency Plan
A household emergency plan is vital in ensuring you and your family knows what to do during and after a severe storm.
Every member of your household should be involved in developing your Home Emergency Plan, discussing things such as:
- How a severe storm could impact your home.
- The location of exit points in the house
- Where to go if you need to evacuate.
- How to stay in contact if you're separated from each other.
- Requirements for those with medical conditions or special needs.
- What to do with any pets
- What to include in your Home Emergency Kit.
- Whether your insurance is adequate and current.
Create your Home Emergency Kit
An emergency kit contains essential itemsw that you and other members of your household may need during and after a storm.
Your emergency kit should be able to sustain you for at least three days in case essential services have been disrupted or you have been isolated by flood water.
The following basic items should be included in your Home Emergency Kit.
- Your Home Emergency Plan, including emergency contact numbers.
- Portable Radio (with batteries or wind-up)
- Torch (with batteries or wind-up)
- First Aid Kit
- Sturdy gloves
- Important documents and cash in waterproof bags.
- Essential Medication
- Special items for babies, the disabled, elderly or pets.
- Drinking water and non-perishable food for three days.
Prepare your home
There are simple things you can do to minimize the impact of storms on your home and surrounding property, as shown in the following planning checklist:
- Check your roof regularly to make sure it's in good condition.
- Keep gutters, down-pipes and drains clear.
- Remove tree branches that are too close to your house.
- Fix and corrosion, loose fittings and rotting or termite-affected timber.
- Secure loose items around your property.
General Home Safety Preparations
- Ensure your home, contents and car insurance is adequate and current.
- Identify the safest room in which to shelter during a storm.
- Learn how to safely turn off your power, water and gas.
- Keep water containers, a camping stove and fuel safely on hand.
If you live in a flood-prone area
- Store poisons and garden chemicals well above ground level.
- Identify indoor items you'll need to raise or empty if flood threatens.
- Relocate power points well above previous flood levels.
If you live in a storm or cyclone-prone area
- Get a professional builder to asses the structural integrity of your house.
- Fit shutters or metal screens to your windows for added protection.
Tune into WARNINGS: If a severe weather warning or storm alert has been issued for your area, it's important to gain as much information as possible to help you prepare and protect your family and home.
We hope these tips are helpful and provide some examples of what it means to truly be STORM READY. If your home suffers damage due to a storm please call SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles anytime, 24\7. We can help get your home back to pre-storm condition and make it "Like it never even happened."
Commercial Carpet Cleaning Services
The only reason someone would attempt treatment on their own is to save money, and this usually leads to bad results. It will, for example, cost much more to replace carpeting that has been damaged beyond repair, and this is possible if soils are allowed to remain for too long, or they aren't adequately removed during the cleaning process.
Without training and certification, a home or business owner may not pick the right detergent to use, or the right equipment. For instance, soils that have become matted in the fibers must be loosened from the fibers before they can be removed-- a process known as suspension. Suspension is normally done with special substances that professionals have access to, and certified carpet cleaning companies such as SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles have multiple suspension agents available, depending on what kind of soil is present.
If someone attempts treatment without suspending the soil, the results will only be superficial, and may make the situation worse in the days to come.
Do-It-Yourselfers often have trouble applying the correct amount of water to the affected area, which can lead to leftover detergent residue, or excess moisture below the surface, providing the perfect breeding ground for MOLD. Home and business owners attempting treatment on their own frequently cause color and odor damage during treatment as well, usually as a result of using unsafe detergent.
Professional, certified treatment provided by SERVPRO professionals is the answer for most, and should be the very first should when dealing with any kind of carpet damage.
Call SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles TODAY for all your carpet and upholstery cleaning needs! 812-574-5744
Is your commercial property EMERGENCY READY?
Like the majority of commercial properties and businesses, your facility probably has an emergency exit plan in place, with illuminated signs leading occupants to safety, and even facility maps strategically placed to identify alternate routes out of the building. But have you developed a thorough contingency plan? Is the emphasis on the first 24-48 hours, to help you get back in your building as quickly as possible? SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles can provide you assistance in developing an Emergency Ready Profile. Even better, it will be at NO COST to you.
As part of a well-thought out contingency plan, your Emergency Ready Profile will contain information you need in the event an emergency situation occurs. An added advantage to utilizing SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles in the development of your Emergency Ready Profile, is the opportunity to coordinate a preferred provider relationship. You will be familiar with our technicians and we will be familiar with your facility and key persons of contact. These small things could make a BIG difference when an emergency situation occurs.
CONTACT US today to set up an appointment to begin your personalized Emergency Ready Profile.
Are you Tornado ready?
How much do you know about tornadoes? We were surprised how much we didn't know.
Please check our the information we have gathered below:
- The average tornado moves southwest to northeast.
- The average forward speed of a tornado is 30mph,but could be as much as 70mph.
- Tornadoes can accompany tropical storms and hurricanes as they move onto land.
- Tornadoes are most frequently reported East of the Rocky Mountains during Spring and Summer months.
- Tornadoes are most likely to occur between 3:0pm-9:00pm.
Who will you call with your Storm Damage needs?
Calling SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles will ensure someone is there FAST, and that someone will be certified and trained to handle your specific situation.
Contact Us 812-574-5744
SERVPRO of Madison, Lawerenceburg and Versailles is your local Water Damage Restoration Company!
If you are looking for professionals who have the knowledge and expertise to restore your home and property after it has suffered water damage, then you call SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles.
The water damage restoration professionals of SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles service businesses and homes that have suffered water damage around the Jefferson County area including Vevay, Hanover, Versailles, Aurora, Greensburg, Batesville, Lawrenceburg and beyond.
If you’ve had a pipe burst or a leaky roof or a toilet or tub that has overflowed, call SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles to clean up the mess and restore your home as if nothing ever happened.
When to Call Water Damage Restoration Professionals
Water damage to an Madison-area business or home can be caused in many ways. Heavy storms can reveal roof leaks and foundation cracks that let the water inside. During the winter months, pipes exposed to cold temperatures can freeze and burst.
Toilets, sinks, dishwashers, and clothes washers can slowly leak behind walls, under floors, and inside cabinets. Sewers can back up into basements and through the drains on lower levels of homes.
As you can see, there are many ways water can get into your home and damage it. While one may think that drinking water or rainwater isn’t as damaging as sewer water or black water, that’s not really the case.
Will Clean Water Damage My Home?
While sewer water or blackwater as is it defined can quickly lead to mold growth in a home, clean water can also lead to dangerous mold growth. Blackwater contains lots of dirty bacteria that can quickly promote mold growth by itself.
Clean water can cause mold spores that are naturally present in air and dust can also lead to mold growth. The dangers in clean water leading to mold growth are that clean water can easily go unseen in a home due to the lack of odor when compared to black water.
Clean water or gray water which is rainwater, can leak into a home’s attic or walls or crawl spaces and linger without being spotted. This water can then lead to mold spores activating and growing in these unseen areas. It’s not until the mold spreads to visible parts of the home or causes a musty odor that it is finally found. By that time, the damage caused by the mold can be quite extensive.
Look for the Signs of Water Damage and Call the Experts Right Away
Whenever it rains, it’s always a good idea to check around your home for any leaks. Check the external walls, the ceilings and around windows. If you have a basement or crawlspace, check it for any water entering into your home. Always check around sinks, tubs, showers, and washers for sitting water or even the smallest of leaks. It doesn’t take much water to cause damage to a home.
The quicker you spot a leak or water in your home, the quicker you can call water damage restoration experts like those at SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles to stop the damage and restore your home.
SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles has the experience, expertise, and tools to properly and effectively remove the water and mold damage and restore your home "Like it never even happened."
Call SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles today at 812-574-5744 to learn how we can help with fire, smoke, water and mold damage.
Common Mold Issues
Any home or commercial business can quickly become infested with mold with the introduction of a water source, like a roof or plumbing leak. Mold can spread throughout a property in as little as 48-72 hours and can produce allergens and irritants that have the potential to cause other health effects.
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO Professionals can inspect and assess your property. If mold is found, they have the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles:
- Provide 24/7 Emergency Service
- Highly Trained Water Restoration Specialists
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
Microscopic mold spores exist almost everywhere, outdoors and indoors, making it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or on a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.