Are you Storm Ready?
Here at SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles, we see the aftermath of storm damage and how devastating the damages can be. We cannot stress enough the importance of PREPAREDNESS. We have compiled here a list of things you can do with and for your family to help in the event of a storm disaster.
Create you Home Emergency Plan
A household emergency plan is vital in ensuring you and your family knows what to do during and after a severe storm.
Every member of your household should be involved in developing your Home Emergency Plan, discussing things such as:
- How a severe storm could impact your home.
- The location of exit points in the house
- Where to go if you need to evacuate.
- How to stay in contact if you're separated from each other.
- Requirements for those with medical conditions or special needs.
- What to do with any pets
- What to include in your Home Emergency Kit.
- Whether your insurance is adequate and current.
Create your Home Emergency Kit
An emergency kit contains essential itemsw that you and other members of your household may need during and after a storm.
Your emergency kit should be able to sustain you for at least three days in case essential services have been disrupted or you have been isolated by flood water.
The following basic items should be included in your Home Emergency Kit.
- Your Home Emergency Plan, including emergency contact numbers.
- Portable Radio (with batteries or wind-up)
- Torch (with batteries or wind-up)
- First Aid Kit
- Sturdy gloves
- Important documents and cash in waterproof bags.
- Essential Medication
- Special items for babies, the disabled, elderly or pets.
- Drinking water and non-perishable food for three days.
Prepare your home
There are simple things you can do to minimize the impact of storms on your home and surrounding property, as shown in the following planning checklist:
- Check your roof regularly to make sure it's in good condition.
- Keep gutters, down-pipes and drains clear.
- Remove tree branches that are too close to your house.
- Fix and corrosion, loose fittings and rotting or termite-affected timber.
- Secure loose items around your property.
General Home Safety Preparations
- Ensure your home, contents and car insurance is adequate and current.
- Identify the safest room in which to shelter during a storm.
- Learn how to safely turn off your power, water and gas.
- Keep water containers, a camping stove and fuel safely on hand.
If you live in a flood-prone area
- Store poisons and garden chemicals well above ground level.
- Identify indoor items you'll need to raise or empty if flood threatens.
- Relocate power points well above previous flood levels.
If you live in a storm or cyclone-prone area
- Get a professional builder to asses the structural integrity of your house.
- Fit shutters or metal screens to your windows for added protection.
Tune into WARNINGS: If a severe weather warning or storm alert has been issued for your area, it's important to gain as much information as possible to help you prepare and protect your family and home.
We hope these tips are helpful and provide some examples of what it means to truly be STORM READY. If your home suffers damage due to a storm please call SERVPRO of Madison, Lawrenceburg and Versailles anytime, 24\7. We can help get your home back to pre-storm condition and make it "Like it never even happened."